Monday, October 15, 2007

How to Become a More Powerful Leader.

Want to know how to become a more powerful leader?

Be willing to say, "I don't know."

Over the weekend, I got to watch the amazing movie "We Are Marshall," which tells the story of the Marshall University (W.Va.) football team who died in a plane crash in 1970 ... and how MU rebuilt their team.

Actor Matthew McConaughy plays Coach Lengyel -- the man who took the job that nobody wanted. Lengyel had to deal with the pain and grief of those who remained after the crash ... and the conflicting emotions that people held.

At several key points in the story, various characters ask Lengyel important questions, and Lengyel has the strength to answer simply, "I don't know." No psychobabble. No B.S. Simply, "I don't know."

BOTTOM LINE: When faced with emotional turmoil and chaos, powerful leaders have the internal strength to say, "I don't know."