Monday, April 16, 2007

Cherry Blossoms & Leadership

I had a speaking job in Washington, D.C. this past week, so I took my family along. We spent the weekend with my kids (ages 12 and 9) touring the Mall. I saw the WWII monument for the first time, and was powerfully moved in showing my children the Vietnam Memorial and the Korean War memorial. At the Vietnam Memorial, a park ranger gave one of the best presentations I have ever heard in my life (and I give keynote speeches and train people for a living!). There was also a vet from Maine who shared a few stories about his time in Vietnam.

All in all, a very powerful experience. I was deeply moved by the many people who sacrificed their lives for a greater purpose.

After visiting the Mall, we walked over to the FDR memorial (and saw a few waning cherry blossoms!). The FDR memorial reminded me the powerful sweeping changes that a leader ... and a people ... can achieve when they set their hearts to it. In my lifetime, we've never seen such sweeping changes that FDR and others wrought ... and in my humble opinion, we need such sweeping changes now more than ever.

As a leader, what are you giving your life for? Most of us do not have the honor of laying our lives down for our country or our families, but many leaders have -- in their own quiet ways -- equally important impacts on the future generations.

As a leader, make sure you give your life for what matters to you most.